This healthy, sugar free, acne friendly ketchup recipe is free from refined sugars and natural sweeteners such as coconut syrup, honey or maple syrup and is simply sweetened with dates. It’s so simple and quick to make – you’ll wonder why you kept buying the bottled stuff for so long!
I make this healthy ketchup at least once a month, it’s just so good to have in the fridge to make your meals just a little bit more exciting! I’ve even been known to take a little pot with me when I go out to eat at restaurants as I just can’t stand the synthetic, sugary taste of bottled ketchup anymore! Because this recipe is made with whole dates that still contain all their fibre – they don’t have as big an impact on your blood sugar levels like added sugar and sweeteners do so you can enjoy your healthy ketchup without having to worry about breakouts.
I definitely have a healthy ketchup obsession…
I’ve featured loads of other ketchup recipes over the past couple of years (Pumpkin Ketchup, No-Mato Ketchup and Roasted Veg Ketchup) but this one is definitely my favourite as it’s so easy to make and requires very little effort yet makes such a huge difference to your meals/LIFE!!
Don’t be put off by the long ingredients list, once you have all these in your spice cupboard they’ll last you for AGES! The only items you really need to re-purchase for each batch of ketchup are the dates and tomato concentrate/passata!
Don’t forget to share your acne friendly recipes on Instagram using the hashtag #SkynApproved!
Peace, Love & Clear Skin,
- 2 cups tomato passata/chopped tomatoes
- 200g tomato puree/concentrate (I use Biona or Mr Organic)
- 1/2 cup water
- 10-12 chopped, pitted dates
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- Blend all the ingredients together
- Transfer the mixture into a lidded saucepan and bring to the boil
- Once bubbling, cover the mixture and lower the heat
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 35 minutes
- Let the sauce cool then transfer into small jars
- Freeze two of the jars for later use and keep the third jar in the fridge so you can enjoy it ASAP. Use within 7 days.