Chocolate coated quinoa + nut protein bites
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup addicts rejoice, this recipe is for you! These tasty, crunchy quinoa + almond protein bites covered in a thin layer of deliciously dark chocolate are the perfect snack for when you’re craving something sweet! It’s taken me a long time to curb my cravings for Cadbury’s chocolate and I’ve only recently managed to successfully blank those bars in the confectionary aisle of my local supermarket! Having a batch of these in the fridge means I can enjoy chocolate treats without having to worry about a nasty sugar-spike affecting my skin!
Chocolate Coated Quinoa + Nut Protein Bites
These tasty treats contain lots of beauty-boosting skin foods; the almonds make them rich in antioxidants and Vitamin E, which are both essential for healthy, glowing skin. Almonds are also the only nut and one of the few proteins that are alkaline forming. When your body is not alkaline enough, you risk a multitude of health problems, one being acne! At the height of my acne issues my body pH was a very acidic 5.3 (it should be between 7.3-7.5!).
Quinoa is one of the few plants which is considered a complete protein, it’s also high in vitamin E and fibre – which is essential for a healthy gut. If you like, you can add a little extra protein to these treats, the protein powder I recommend is the Sunwarrior Warrior Blend, it’s a raw plant-based protein powder that doesn’t contain dairy, wheat or refined sugar like many other brands on the market.
- 1 cup puffed quinoa
- 1 cup macadamia butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
- 3/4 cup ground macadamia nut (or almond if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup protein powder (or substitute with extra ground nuts)
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 150g 85%-90% dark chocolate
- almond flakes to garnish
- Puffed quinoa is widely available online and in health food shops, however, you can make your own puffed quinoa by sprouting quinoa seeds in filtered water for 6-8 hours, draining the seeds then slowly dehydrating them in the oven for 1-2 hours at 100C.
- Mix together the puffed quinoa, almond butter, ground almonds, protein powder, coconut oil and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll the mixture into small balls and place on a lined baking tray – I recommend using a 1 tblsp measuring scoop to get them all similar sizes
- Pop the tray into the freezer to set for 30 minutes
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, taking care not to over cook the chocolate
- Remove the balls from the freezer and coat in the melted chocolate.
- Whilst the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle some flaked almonds on top of each ball for decoration!
These bites are best served straight from the fridge!
Will you be trying these chocolate coated quinoa + nut protein bites? Let me know in the comments below!
Peace, Love & Clear Skin,